Maharashtra Colleges and Universities have been closed for physical classes. State Higher and Technical Education Minister Uday Samant today announced that the physical classes in all colleges and universities in the state would be discontinued witll immediate effect. The colleges and universities would remain closed till February 15, 2021, confirmed Samant.
Further, given the present situation, Uday Samant has also announced that all the Examinations would also be conducted online. University dormitories/ hostels would also be closed during this period. The decision has been taken as the cases continued to surge in the state.
The decision was taken after a review meeting today. The guidelines for college closure are briefly described below.
Maharashtra Colleges Closed: Guidelines
- As per the order, the decision applies to all non-agricultural universities as well as private universities and colleges in the state.
- All hostels would also be shut, however, foreign students would be allowed to stay on in the hostel and all care would be provided to them
- All exams scheduled during this period would also be conducted online and in case a student is unable to appear for the exam online, he/she would be given adequate help by the college so as to ensure that the year is not affected
- All Colleges have been advised to start a student helpline to help students during this time
- Only 50% Teaching and Non-teaching staff is allowed at the university
- The order has also advised all higher educaitonal institutes to ensure vaccination of all students and faculty memebers. In case someone is not vaccinated, the informaiton has to be shared with the authorities for appropriate action.
Maharashtra Colleges closing means all the higher educational institutions shifting back to online classes. Some reports suggest that a mini lockdown-like situation can also be expected in the state. At this point when COVID cases are putting a pressure on the medical system, restrictions are likely to be imposed with Colleges and Universities also facing the brunt.
Uday Samant had also tweeted about a meeting that was held with Vice-Chancellors of non-agricultural universities and officials of the Education Department. The online meeting was attended by 33 District Collectors, 6 Divisional Commissioners and 13 Vice-Chancellors. Through the tweet, it is known that a final decision is expected to be announced by 4 pm today. Related | School, Colleges Closed Latest News: Bangalore, Mumbai, Jharkhand, Telangana, Haryana, Bihar, etc shut schools over COVID
Maharashtra’s COVID tally has scared people across the country with over 18,000 new infections being reported in last 24 hours. The government is deliberating on the extent of restrictions that have to be imposed considering that children’s vaccination has already started.
Read all the Latest News, Breaking News and Coronavirus News here !